Here are things I accomplished on the list:
- Go to a shooting range.
- Break 10 hours in an Ironman.
- Break 3:15 in an open marathon.
- Visit two new continents.
- Win a triathlon.
- Land a major individual sponsor.
- Get a six-pack.
- Get pro triathlon license.
- Do a prosthetic mission in Southeast Asia.
- Find true love. (I actually crossed this off early on.)
- Go XC skiing or snowshoeing at Tahoe.
- Break a record.
Here are things I sorta did or sorta almost:
- Make cover of a magazine.
- Run a beer mile. FAST!
- Lead a GT MSPO class on an international mission.
Things I didn't even come close to doing:
- Become semi-fluent in Mandarin.
- Take Qigong classes.
- Take surf lessons.
- Pay off student loans. (hahahaha!)
- Run my sister through her first marathon.
- Host karaoke night at the Seahorse Saloon.
- Learn to drive stick shift.
- Get out of credit card debt.
- Do 100 manly push-ups.
- Do a P&O career talk at a college or university.
- Get my FAAOP.
Learned a few things...you're not entirely responsible for making a goal happen if it heavily depends on another person (like the sister's marathon or true love). It's good to be ambitious and dream big. Some things are arbitrary--the "major individual sponsor" that I landed is Haamonii Smooth Shochu, a liquor company based in San Francisco. How many pro triathletes do you know who have their own liquor sponsor? :D
Some things I didn't quite accomplish, and still want to do. Some things I didn't quite accomplish and don't care to do any more. Then there are all those things that I experienced and accomplished, that I didn't even think to put on the list (like ride in a hot air balloon in the Philippines!).
Now I get to come up with a new list. 40 things before 40? That'll give me 10 years to do a bunch of stuff. Or maybe 35 things before 35...I don't want to think about turning 40 yet!